Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I'm a small business located in the area and have not yet conducted business with Department of Defense. Are there any specific requirements?

    • The US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC) is interested in doing business with small firms that can provide relevant products, services and business solutions. One requirement is that business firms are registered on the System for Award Management (SAM) database.
  2. We're a small business interested in marketing to the US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC) and Fort Detrick. What's the best approach?

    • There are several approaches a business can take when marketing your product, service or business solution to the USAMRMC and Fort Detrick.  To start, we recommend that your company take time to research your customer.  Many of the customers (end-users) are looking for a small business that's proactive and able to deliver a quality product or service.  A business should seriously consider their marketing approach.  Being familiar with the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) is helpful.  Small Business information can be found at FAR, Part 19.  As most small business will testify... "having a superior product, great pricing, meeting with procurement officials and being in close proximity to Fort Detrick does not necessarily guarantee receipt of a contract or award.  Often, the key may include effective marketing of products or services and building business relationships.
  3. Is the Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP) available to participate in outreach and informational seminars?

    • Yes, since September 2002, the OSBP has volunteered and upon request, actively participated is numerous outreach seminars, luncheons and conferences not only for businesses and civic organizations, but also for universities and colleges.  Please contact the office at 301-619-2471 to schedule a time and date.
  4. I have a small business, but don't own a personal computer.  Am I excluded from participating in the procurement process?

    • Not having "access" to a computer may hinder your ability to actively participate.  Having a computer in today's business environment will certainly enhance your ability to participate.  If a small business does not own a personal computer, it is recommended that you consider visiting your local library, chamber of commerce or perhaps a university or college.  There are other agencies that can offer assistance, some at no cost.
  5. How does a small business learn about doing business with USAMRMC and Fort Detrick? What's the process?

    • The USAMRMC Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP) is your source for information and guidance.  For more information, please access the OSBP website or call 301-619-2471.
  6. What is E-Commerce and how does it impact doing business with the government?

    • Electronic Commerce (E-Commerce) is the preferred method of conducting business.  Additional information can be found by accessing the Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy Electronic Business (DPAP eBusiness) website.
  7. Who are the procurement officials within USAMRMC?

    • A listing of procurement officials within USAMRMC can be found on the US Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity (USAMRAA) website under ORGANIZATIONS —> Account Managers.
  8. Is there a listing or directory of procurement agencies on Fort Detrick?

    • Yes, a copy of this list can be obtained by contacting the OSBP at 301-619-2471.
  9. What's the Government Purchase Card Program?

    • The Government-wide commercial purchase card is a card similar in nature to a commercial credit card, which is issued to authorized agency officials for their use in acquiring supplies and services.  A wealth of information can be found at FAR, Part 13, Simplified Acquisition Procedures. Other helpful links can be found on the USAMRAA website under PRODUCTS.
  10. Is there an Installation Directory online?

  11. Is there a calendar of small business conferences and workshops?

    • A calendar of small business workshops, conferences, symposiums is available on the OSBP website.  Additional information can also be obtained by calling 301-619-2471.
  12. What is a Procurement Center Representative (PCR)?

    • The Small Business Administration (SBA) identifies and assigns PCRs to many of the government's procurement/contracting offices.  Traditional PCRs 'increase the small business share of Federal procurement awards by initiating small business set-asides, reserving procurements for competition among small business firms; providing small business sources to Federal Buying Activities; and counseling small firms.'  Additional information can be found on
      the SBA website.
  13. How can HBCUs/MIs/HSIs/TCUs learn more about participating and competing for contracts and grants?

    • Historically Black Colleges and Univeristies, Minority Institutions, Hispanic Serving Institutions, and Tribal Colleges and Universities can contact the Associate Director, Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization 301-619-2471.
  14. Is there a toll free number that small business firms can call for information?

    • Small Business firms can contact the Small Business Administration (SBA) Answer Desk, which is accessible 24 hours, 7 days a week.  Answer Desk operators are available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST).  Please call (800) 8-ASK-SBA
  15. When scheduling a meeting with the Small Business Office, what type of information should I be prepared to brief?

    • At a minimum, prospective contractors and small businesses should be prepared to provided a summarization of their core capabilities and highlight their value-added products, services, and/or business solutions in support of a USAMRMC and Fort Detrick.
  16. What type of core products and services may be of particular interest to USAMRMC?

    • It is recommended that firms access the USAMRMC website and take a few minutes familiarizing themselves with the global mission and of the command.
  17. Are there any special security requirements to enter the installation?

    • Yes, all personnel and vehicles entering the installation must have photo identification. Unregistered vehicles must be prepared to have their vehicles randomly searched by the Installation Security Force.